• March 21, 2019, 11:02:01 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Inkscape to Helocut5 connection error - Cutting software  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Dedas

• Sr. Newbie
Inkscape to Helocut5 connection error - Cutting software
« on: February 04, 2017, 02:59:50 AM »
Hello, I would like to connect my inkscape 0,48 and helocut5 to work with my Helo 720R cutter.
I have installed the plugin but if I want to send the Grafic to helocut I get the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cutman.py", line 3, in <module>
    pfad = _winreg.OpenKey(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\\Vecap\\HeloCut")
WindowsError: [Error 2] Das System kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden

Who can help me :(?

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Inkscape to Helocut5 connection error - Cutting software
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

That traceback means there was some error with the extension.  It might mean the extension is broken.  If that's the case, then that problem should be reported to the extension's author, so they can fix it.  If it has the same kind of license as Inkscape (i.e. free) then anyone can fix it (anyone who knows how).  But if it carries a non-free license, only the author can fix it.

I might guess, from how the error message mentions Windows, that maybe this extension only works for Windows.  I don't know that for a fact.  But I see you used a Mac system to post your message, so if you were using the same computer to run the extension, I'd say there's a good chance the extension only works on Windows. 

I used google to translate that German part of the message, which is "The system can not find the specified file".  It seems to refer to Vecap/HeloCut.  If that extension only works on Windows, then it makes sense that it can't find HeloCut, even though you might have it installed on the Mac system.  (Because the extension is looking in the Windows registry for it, and of course a Mac doesn't not have a Windows registry.)

Where did you get that extension?  Maybe there will be more info on the download site, about what kind of systems it works with, that would be more definitive than just me guessing.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Dedas

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 03:16:42 PM »
Hi brynn,

Many thanks for your answer.
I cannot find the field to change my computer system :) I use it on windows 7 64Bit.
The manufacturer of my cutter (Helo) offer this extension http://www.extrade.ch/Support.htm

I try to remove and reinstall the extension tomorrow again.
The problem is that the support of the manufacturer is really bad and Inkscape is a freeware - so I don't know who my contact person for this issue is.
I hope someone in this forum had this issue before and knows the solution :)

Regards
Daniel 

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
Since you are using it on a Windows computer, then at least we can eliminate that possible conflict as a source of the problem.

Since you received that traceback error, that indicates that the extension is installed properly.  If it was not installed properly, you wouldn't have received the traceback at all.

I'm still only guessing about what that error message means.  But I think the file which the traceback indicates that it can't find is the HeloCut program or software.  You probably had to install HeloCut software on your computer.  And probably this Inkscape extension can't find it.  So I think the Inkscape extension is installed properly.  But the HeloCut software might not be.  Although again, that's my best guess.

However, if you check and find that the HeloCut software is installed properly, that means that the Inkscape extension is just broken.  Since I can't read or understand that German webpage, I still don't have a clue about what kind of license the extension has.

Next I tried downloading the extension, because often you can find the license as part of the download package.  Unfortunately, when you open the file that is downloaded, it installs the extension, automatically, in an un-recommended place.  It's not necessarily a wrong place.  It's just that if you ever upgrade Inkscape, you'll need to install the extension again too.  But since the installation is automatic, you can't control where it puts it.

Next, I tried opening the extension dialog, because once in a while, you'll see license info in the dialog.  However, it did not open a dialog, and instead, gave me the exact same traceback error that you got.

What that means, is that probably, either you didn't install the HeloCut software in the right place, or didn't install it at all.  Because I didn't install it at all, and I got the same error message.  And since the author made the Inkscape extension auto-install, they probably made the program so that it auto-installs in the right place too.  So my best guess, is that you didn't install the HeloCut software at all.

Sorry for all the guessing.  This is the first time I've heard of that kind of cutter, so there was nothing I could search for that might already be  posted in this forum.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Dedas

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 03:22:41 AM »
Ok i understand. I have checked that file now.

You can find this file under:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\share\extensions

And this is inside the file::

#!/usr/bin/env Python
import sys, os, shutil, _winreg, time
pfad = _winreg.OpenKey(_winreg.HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,"SOFTWARE\\Vecap\\HeloCut")
value, type = _winreg.QueryValueEx(pfad, "Instpfad")
input = sys.argv[-1:][0]
output = value +'\out.isf'
os.system('inkscape --without-gui --export-text-to-path --file="%s" --export-ps="%s"' % (input,output))

The installation of helocut you can find under: C:\Program Files (x86)\HELO\HeloCut5 - See attachment.
I wrote now a mail again to the Support of helocut - i hope they will answer soon.

Regards
 Daniel

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 10:06:19 AM by Dedas »

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 05:23:31 PM »
Good luck!   :xf2:

Let us know what happens  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit