• December 17, 2018, 01:44:51 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Have to ungroup image 2 times in Silhouette w/ Inkscape file.  (Read 3806 times)

Offline EndlessTimeGraphics

• Sr. Newbie
Have to ungroup image 2 times in Silhouette w/ Inkscape file.
« on: February 07, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Hey y'all! This is my first time here, and I am in love with this fourm, there is so much useful information!!!

So my issue, I have been designing SVG files for my momma and I to use with her silhouette and to hopefully sell. I have noticed that when import these files to silhouette studio designer edition (SSDE), I have to un-group them twice. The first "ungroup" does nothing. This isn't such a big deal, just slightly annoying, but I hope to be able to also sell these at some point, and I would like to  make sure it's as user friendly as possible.

At first I though it had to do with the way I was creating the file. With multiple word files, I select a word (words) that I want together, and select path>object to path. object>ungroup. path>union. I do this for each word or group individually, and then I select all off them and group them together by selecting object>group. This is where I am running into issues if I just save from here as a plain SVG, I have no issues. But I like to resize the document to fit the page contents, and when I do this, then save, it wont ungroup right away in SSDE.

I have gone as far as changing the default canvas size, to a 12x12 in square (the A4 size w/ mm drives me crazy), but if I use any size other than the A4, I have this issue... UNLESS I save as an Inkscape SVG, then file ungroups right away in SSDE. Does anyone know 1) Why I have to ungroup twice in studio. 2) Why I can't use a different page size without it causing this problem. 3) Is there a different way I need to be designing these images? 4) Is it okay to just save them as Inkscape SVG's, or will it cause problems if someone tried to use it in another program besides SSDE? 5) Any other hepful tips/tricks would be much appreciated!! :) Thanks so much

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Have to ungroup image 2 times in Silhouette w/ Inkscape file.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Where do these files come from?  I mean the ones with text that you want to convert to path.

I'm not familiar with SSDE.  Is grouping and ungrouping the same thing there as it is in Inkscape?  I know in Inkscape, one reason you might need to ungroup twice if there is a nested group - a group inside of a group.

After you convert the text to paths, why do you group them again?  Could you just skip that step?

We might not be able to help, since the problem is with SSDE (and we don't know how or why it works they way it works).  I don't know why changing the file size would do this...  I wonder if SSDE is always expecting an A4 size, maybe it needs some kind of instructions before you feed it something besides A4?  Maybe the first click allows SSDE to adjust to the different size?

Try this.  Open one of the files, and instead of clicking Ungroup, click something else, anything else.  Then click Ungroup.  I'm guessing the first click will not do whatever it's supposed to do, and when you click Ungroup, it will ungroup, just like you expect.  I'm guessing that first click has some other purpose, that it doesn't even try to ungroup.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:58 PM »
I just recently bought SSDE, and rarely use it because I really dislike it so I don't have that much experience with svg files in it yet.  I don't know the answers to most of your questions, but I don't see why you can't save your files as the default Inkscape format.  I've never had a problem with it, and no one has commented on the files that I've shared.  I think I have had to ungroup my svg files in SSDE though.  I think it automatically puts each file in a group.  Not a layer friendly program!   :hh:

One tip though.  You can skip the Path/Object to Path for your text and just go strait to Path/Union.  The end result is the same with less steps.  I'm wondering the same thing as Brynn, why Group your converted text?

Also, did you know that you can change your default page settings?  I have mine set up so that all new documents are 12x12 and units are in inches.  It's been long enough since I did it that I don't remember how exactly, but do a search or ask and someone will help you out.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 05:50:05 PM »
Thank you Brynn and Heather!!

I am just creating text in Inkscape, they aren't already existing files. Sometimes I may use a black SVG from pixabay to include with my design, but most of the time, it is just text that I design myself.

Yes the grouping/un-grouping is the same. So that may be it right there, they are unions (groups) inside of another group....

Generally I group them again, that way all of the words or word sets become one group, instead of 4 or 5 separate groups, that way the design is already set up and ready to cut, but I want them to be able to be ungrouped that way if someone wanted to, they could do different colors for the different parts of the file. So for example I designed the file I attached... I want the "It looks like" to be its own group, then "someone" it's own group, "needs more" is it's own group, and then "coffee" is its own. When I started this adventure I knew nothing about SVGs or paths, or cut files. So, most of what I know is just from my own research and trial and error. That's why I usually do "object to path>ungroup>union> group."

Brynn- it could very well be a SSDE thing, but I will try your suggestion about the first click. It is so weird that the canvas size affects this, and the Inkscape VS plain svg file type.

Heather- That is an interesting though about SSDE automatically grouping things together, that would make sense as to why I would have to ungroup twice. I will try your suggestion about skipping the "object to path" and just ungrouping then union. and I'll also save them ungrouped and see if SSDE automatically groups them. I did try to change my default canvas on inkscape, but I still had the issues. Like I said if I save on their A4 I can save as plain SVG, and do the steps I normally do, but ANY change to the canvas size, and I'm having to ungroup twice. I will keep you ladies updated! I hope my reply has made sense, it's a little difficult to put all of this in words lol,  I really appreciate the suggestions <3 :) :)

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:20 PM »
So.... SSDE DOES automatically group them :f5: I would have never even though that. So when I do the final "group" to make them all 1 group, SSDE groups it again, making me have to ungroup them twice... So I guess my next question... will other programs like SCAL do the same? Should I go ahead and do the final group and just tell others that it needs to be ungrouped twice in SSDE, or should I leave them ungrouped? What to customers expect?  Thanks again for the tip about not doing object to path first, it was just a waist of time :)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 01:06:36 AM »
I don't have a cutter myself, so I'm not familiar with what people who would buy your files might expect.  But I can say that it's question we get from time to time in other Inkscape forums (which can support people with cutters, but all kinds of other Inkscape issues too).  People buy and/or download vector files from various sites, and they just want to use one object out of the file, but they can't figure out how to select it, because everything is grouped.

So it seems to me like it would prevent that much confusion, for rank newbies.  On the other hand, there is a reason for grouping, and especially when certain objects must remain together and precisely aligned.  Although, I guess for cutting, everything needs to be ungrouped anyway.  Right?  Or, can some machines cut objects that are grouped?

As far as the SSDE automatically grouping the file, I'm curious about 2 things.  1 - Why does it do it in the first place?  2 - Why does it apparently not do it under the conditions you explained before?

Do you make your own fonts?  It must be hard to find decent free fonts.  Otherwise I expect you'd eat up all your profits buying font licenses.

• Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:16 AM »
Hey Brynn,
   My mommas Cameo can cut files that are grouped no problem. However if you're wanting to cut different parts in different colors, then they need to be un-grouped. And those are good questions. I have no idea why it automatically groups them, becuase I have had files that I have purchased or downloaded for free that are automatically un-grouped. I think a lot of it has to do with inkscape.  I think Illustrator is the ideal program for creating vector files. I tried AI though and it was intense. Much more complicated than Photoshop. Inkscape was a little difficult in the beginning, but I eventually got the hang of it.  I don't actually make my fonts, but I do spend a lot of time scouring the internet for free fonts, and last year I found one of the most amazing sites for commercial fonts. The Hungry JPEG has lots of free fonts, and they do a new free one every Wednesday, and most of the freebies do include a complete commercial license. They also have font bundles that they sell for $30, generally you get like 40-ish fonts and then several graphic packages, but back in January they had a mega bundle that included 80 fonts and 10 graphic packages. This is more of a hobby still, so I'm definitely spending more than I'm selling lol! Thanks again for the help! <3

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 06:44:31 PM »
-Inkscape SVG is fine
-No need to group the entire image, and really groups should be avoided altogether because they cause problems in Cricut Design Space. Instead, path>combine (if not already path>unioned) by color and/or logical grouping (things that someone might want a different color)
-Different versions of Silh Studio group SVGs differently so you can't really have a perfect SVG for everyone. I totally appreciate the effort you are putting in. I review SVG cutting files professionally and I rarely see this level of attention to detail. Bravo!
-you can select the text and path>union to save steps
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com