• August 21, 2018, 08:10:45 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Is there a quick (automatic) way to add nodes to every intersection of agrid  (Read 1682 times)

Offline tomcat_meow

I've been searching tutorials and forum here to find a way to create a large grid and put nodes at every intersection so I can edit between nodes to curve them for cutting paths.  I've created a dense grid on a page 24 inches x 36 inches so there are a large number of intersections as horizontal and vertical cut lines cross each other.  What I'd like to do is add nodes at every intersection automatically if possible?  Anyone have insight into how this could be done? 

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Welcome to the forum!

Although I know Inkscape very well, I don't have any kind of cutter.  So probably other members who use them might know exactly what you mean.

But for myself, I don't understand having a grid of lines for cutting (because wouldn't that cut out a lot a small squares or rectangles?).  If you can explain a little bit more what your goal is, I could give you some suggestions for getting there.

There's no easy way to put a node at every intersection.  The easiest way I can think of, would be to configure an Inkscape grid (the kind which is used for alignment, and is not actually made of paths  - it won't show up in a finished image, or if you printed, for example).  Anyway, configure a grid that matches your grid of paths.  Then with snapping (http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Snapping.html) add new nodes and snap them to the grid intersections.  You can configure a grid in Document Properties > Grids tab.

Or if it's too hard to configure a custom grid, you could drag out a lot of Guides, snap them to your existing paths, add new nodes, and snap to guide intersections.

There are a couple of ways to add new nodes.  With the Node tool, double-click on a path, to create one new node.  Or click on the path segment to select both nodes on either side, then click Add Nodes button on the control bar (first on the left) a few times.  Or there's an Add Nodes extensions (which personally I find sometimes crashes Inkscape, but I haven't heard that complaint from others).

• Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
Add node puts a new node at the midpoint of the line or segment and then when you click it adds segments between those so a few clicks and you have a lot of evenly spaced nodes on a line. So perhaps you could use this to work backwards or create a grid with nodes at the intersections that you could resize to fit your needs.
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com