• June 24, 2018, 09:55:18 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: How can I cut a seamless square for printing textile in a repeated design  (Read 356 times)

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
Hello Inkscape community!
This is my first post on this forum and I'm happy that I found it, so please bare with me here.
I started doing textile design 6 weeks ago, watching tutorials and self-teaching myself while playing with the program. I love it, but I still have a lot to learn. I realized I might have a big issue, when I decided I wanna print my designs on Spoonflower and other websites as such. I might've been doing it all wrong from the beginning.
I did lots of different designs, but without using the page border or the seamless square technique. I drew different geometric or group of geometric shapes and played a lot with the Tiled Clones options and angles. So now I have a full big repeated pattern that is made out of shapes different than the original ones, but with the original shapes as a base to this new ones. I moved one of them out to see the original shape. red doily.jpg
*red doily.jpg
(369.64 kB . 1176x536)
(viewed 83 times)
example.jpg
*example.jpg
(272.59 kB . 937x514)
(viewed 85 times)

So now my big issue is, and I have a feeling is a difficult or almost impossible one, that I need to cut a perfect square in the middle of it and that square, when multiplied will form the original repeated pattern seamlessly; so I can post it on the Spoonflower website or websites as such and get my print on different fabrics. So what I did is the opposite what designers usually do. I didnt start with the square and multiplied it into a seamless repeated pattern, but I did a repeated pattern and now I need to cut the perfect square so, when multiplied it would look seamless.
I would really appreciate it, if you can help me with this one.
Thank you,
Iulian

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure if I understand the problem.  With this type of repeated pattern, I don't see any seams.  It looks seamless to me already.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
Hello,

It is seamless, cause I just used that shape that I moved on the side and multiplied it with Tiled Clones. But to be able to order the textile as a big textile roll, for textile stores or fashion designers for example, I need to cut a perfect square, so the guys from Spoon Flower or stores that print textiles, can multiply it and make it really big and long, just like how big rolls of textiles are in textile stores. So that square that I’m submitting on their websites needs to be seamless when multiplied.

Thank you,
Iulian

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Can you share an SVG file with the pattern unit in it?  And also show the square which is in the correct position for one of the units?

Probably it can be accomplished with a path operation, such as Difference or Intersection.

But I wonder how Spoon Flower avoids having a seam?  Because unless they simply don't use anti- aliasing, their designs are going to show the seam too.  It's the anti-aliasing which is responsible for the seam, most of the time.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
I'm probably using the seamless word wrong, cause we don't seem to be on the same page. It doesn't matter where the square is gonna be as long as it makes that image that I posted infinitely long. That image that I created, let's just say is 1 yard of fabric. How can I multiply it to make a whole roll of fabric with 70 yards of fabric, to sell it to a textile store for example. So how can I cut the repeated shape in the design, in the matter it is repeated(cause as you can see, its not positioned one next to another, it's in honeycomb position)? And I have other designs that are more complicated, so how can I cut the right square in them so when multiplied by this suppliers it will show exactly what i designed, but much much longer.
I attached the SVG of that design.*red doily.svg
(77.14 kB - downloaded 13 times)

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
Look for example how intertwine these elements are. It all started from the 4 different color sticks on the left of the image and added one of Create Tiled Clones many options. And that's what it came up in the end. I put a black square on the image so you can see approximately where it needs to be cut, cause as you can notice, that square when multiplied in all directions(left, right, up and down) it will make exactly the image I created, but it just gives me the possibility(which I need) to make it infinitely long on the left, right, up OR down, depending how I want my roll of fabric to look. issues.jpg
*issues.jpg
(304.06 kB . 1213x546)
(viewed 59 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Ok, we'll forget about "seamless".

If I understand what you're asking, then you already have what you need.  It seems like you're asking us to identify the pattern unit.  But you already showed it to us.

Have you tried that already, and it's not producing the pattern that you want?

Actually, there would be no way to change that pattern unit (which is rectangular) into a square, without changing the overall effect.  That design you've created using that rectangular pattern unit, can only be achieved with exactly that same rectangular pattern unit.  Change the unit into a square shape and you'll change the results.

Or maybe the problem is that the fabric website does not offer the same kind of pattern repetition that Inkscape offers?

Here, let me show you an example.  I'll be right back....
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Ok, well I was going to make the rectangular pattern into a square pattern, and then use Tiled Clones to show you the difference in the results.  The problem is that I have no idea what settings you used in Tiled Clones.

But I've made the rectangular pattern into a square.  So you can use it, with whatever settings you used in Tiled Clones, to see the difference for yourself.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
As you have already discovered, it can be tricky to extract a seamless tile after the fact, you would just have to use trial and error in this case. In the future much easier to use the seamless tile extension and template because you always have the rectangle in place for exporting the png file.
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
Yes @brynn, I wanted to mention that I realized the pattern unit is not a square, which makes things more complicated. But let’s say Spoonflower or other websites let me upload it this way. The problem was how I crop it? That square was set there(approximately) through Paint. I think I saw a tutorial on how you can crop in inkscape so I’m sure it won’t be very difficult. But the difficult part is how I crop it precisely, so it will look like the full image when multiplied? And I’m afraid the answer to that is just a lot of patience and and free time to consume on the matter.

@cleversomeday you’re right, I guess it’s a lesson to be learned, but it sucks that I made so many cool patterns (or at least that’s what I think) and 2 collections, and now I can only use them by exporting them as big PNG files and print them on different clothing, and not be able to actually print them as a fabric roll.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
There's no such thing as cropping, in Inkscape. What I'll show you is how to use Intersection.

Somehow either I'm not getting this message across to you.  Or you haven't explained what you want, successfully, to me.  If you cut that rectangular pattern into a square, you won't get the same resulting design.  There will be absolutely no way to cut anything off of this pattern unit, and still get the exact same overall design as a result.

Maybe you'll just have to try it for yourself.  It's not too hard to cut it into a square....at least not this particular pattern.  Some patterns will be very hard to do cut.  In fact, I was suprised that this technique worked with this pattern.

I'll tell you how I did the example I showed.  But it probably would go better for you, to come up with a different workflow, where you start with the square, and don't go outside of it.

Note that this will not make a seamless pattern.  If you line the resulting units up side by side, you'll probably see a gap between them.  But as long as you are overlapping the units, like the examples you showed, it won't matter.

Attached is a little tutorial.  Click on it to make it bigger.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline iulian

• Sr. Newbie
I know there is no such thing as cropping in inkscape, the intersection tutorial is what I meant. And thanks for reminding me how to use intersection! I know you can’t change that shape into a square without modifying or cutting its design. But that is not the shape that I wanna put in a square anyways. It’s the black rectangle I draw on top of the second design I posted. Which is also a rectangle and not a square and I’m also aware that I can’t transform it into a square unless I cut it or “squeeze” it. I was just saying maybe Spoonflower will let me upload a rectangle and not necessarily a square.
So that shaped that you intersect for me it’s not what I care about, that was just a base shape that helped me make those crazy wheels or doily or whatever you wanna call it. The full doily image is what I need to crop(intersect) into a perfect square or rectangle(in case they will allow me to upload a rectangle on that websites, if not the whole design is lost), so that when multiplied it will show exactly the big picture that I showed, but its length can go on and on and on. Meaning, if you count those wheels, there are 8 on each row and there are 4 rows, right? Well I want to make 8000 wheels on 4000 rows and that’s impossible without my computer crashing or any computer crashing probably and it’s also impossible to transform that image that will have 15 gygabytes probably into PNG, again without the computer crashing.

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Sigh!

Ok, now that I finally understand what you're asking, that would take someone who knows math very well, or who just is good at visually picking out the new pattern unit, which is created after you've made the array.  It will be different, every time you use a different tiling pattern.  Once you figure out what it is for a particular tiling pattern, it should be the same every time you use that tiling pattern. (By "tiling pattern" I mean the Symmetry tab, in Tiled Clones dialog).

Plus, intersection won't work for that at all.  You'll need to use clipping.

Here's how clipping works.

-- draw a rectangle or square, or whatever you want the shape to be
 -- place it over top of the array
 -- select both
 -- Object menu > Clip > Set

Note that this will not create a seamless pattern.  But probably by the time it's printed on the fabric, the gap won't be noticable.

I've taken the liberty to look at the spoonflower website, to try and figure out what the heck you're trying to do.  You might be able to modify the technique described in this article:  https://blog.spoonflower.com/2018/01/how-to-create-a-seamless-repeat-from-a-drawing/ to work for you in Inkscape.

Or you might try posting on the main Inkscape website, where there are a lot more advanced users, who are more likely to know the maths.  Maybe someone there can give you some kind of system for placing the square or whatever it is.  InkscapeForum.com  (just don't use "seamless" in your description, or you'll get the same answer as I gave you at first)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit