• September 20, 2018, 11:19:01 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Help with a logo  (Read 562 times)

Offline gsgravering

• Sr. Newbie
Help with a logo
« on: June 13, 2018, 07:59:06 AM »
Hello. Im quite new at this inkscape, and i have bought my self a gravograph mechanical engraving machine, but can someone teach me how to vectorize to engrave, not only the outline, but make path's so things will be filled also.

Can someone help me?

Sorry about the language, im norwegian, so probably som spellingmistakes here..:)

Ive attached the latest project, this is a compony logo in norway that im engraving, but i dont just want the outline.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: Help with a logo
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

It looks like something went wrong with your file attachment.  Can you try it again?  What kind of file is it?  Not every possible type of file is allowed, but most image formats are allowed.

It's hard to explain what you need to do, to vectorize the image, without knowing exactly what's in the file.  If it's a raster format (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc.) you'll probably have 2 choices - either auto-trace (Path menu > Trace Bitmap) or trace the outline "manually" using Inkscape's path tools, usually the Pen/Bezier tool.  It depends mostly on the complexity of the image, whether you auto trace or hand trace.  But also personal preference would be part of the decision.

Well, I might be able to say more, when I can see the file and examine its contents.  But that's the general idea.

Oh, and also, don't miss the Help menu.  If you need to learn how to use Inkscape, Help menu Shapes, Basic and Advanced.  Don't worry, the one called "advanced" isn't really advanced.  In fact, it's an introduction to the kind of tools you'll need, if you need to manually trace something.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline gsgravering

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 01:27:31 AM »
LogoMaltheWinje.jpg
*LogoMaltheWinje.jpg
(47.81 kB . 836x165)
(viewed 76 times)

I will try again with the attachment. It is a .jpeg file so it should work

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2018, 06:06:44 AM »
If those specific fonts are important, then you'll probably want to use Path menu > Trace Bitmap.

If the fonts are not very important, then I would use the Pen tool, and trace the logo.  Then use the Text tool and type the text using as similar fonts as you can find.

But I'm guessing those are very specific fonts that you probably must use.  I would think that using the Brightness Cutoff option in the Trace Bitmap dialog, using the default Threshold setting, should be sufficient, to get a good result.

That means that you can just import the JPG, select it, open Path menu > Trace Bitmap, make sure Brightness Cutoff is selected, and click OK.

The results will be created precisely on top of the original.  The results will probably be black, so since your original is green, you'll probably notice it.  But when the original is black, a lot of people don't realize that anything happened.

This will give you the paths that you need for cutting.  I'm not exactly sure what you mean about things being filled.  Do you mean that you want to engrave that image into a larger piece of wood, rather than cut it out of a piece of wood?  That probably comes under the subject of learning how your machine works.  Do you know what kind of file format you need?  Does the machine use gcode, or some other code?  Have you successfully made any test runs, or anything like that?

This forum was originally created to help people use the home/craft type of cutter (such as Cricut).  Now that we have these more industrial type of cutters - laser, plasma, CNC, etc, the people who used to participate here don't know as much about these newer kinds of cutters.  In fact, I may be putting this forum into read-only mode, and re-directing traffic to the main Inkscape forum, sometime in the next year.  Because most of the messages we get now, are for the newer kinds of cutters.

Although having said that, I participate in all the Inkscape forums, and I'm not sure if I've ever heard of gravograph.  So I'm not sure if anyone in the other forums could help with the machine itself.  If it uses gcode, Inkscape does have extensions for that.  I've learned a little bit about them, but the developers who made them are no longer providing support for them.  So I get stuck myself, after a point.  And Inkscape can save in a lot of different formats, if all the machine needs is a special format.

Do you have documentation for the machine?  Or found any on the internet?
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2018, 06:35:22 PM »
You can fill your shapes with hatching using the Axidraw extension. I find this to be the easiest method
https://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Axidraw_Software_Installation
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com