• August 24, 2019, 11:13:17 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: the future of this forum  (Read 3359 times)

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
the future of this forum
« on: October 27, 2018, 07:43:42 PM »
Hi Friends,
When I adopted this forum a few years ago, I really just wanted to keep it open because some members had expressed that they didn't want to lose the tutorials and other helpful contents.

I was also hoping we might be able to revive it, by providing support for what I think of as more industrial  type cutters, such as CNC and those that use gcode or that are found in those makerspace type of workshops, and etc.  However, doing that would have depended on attracting such users who could actually provide that kind of support (since no one else here already has such knowledge). 

I was able to learn a little bit (about the Inkscape gcode extensions) on my own, by using a cutter simulator.  But we haven't really attracted any users with this kind of knowledge, who have stuck around.  I find myself needing to refer people to the other forums, more and more often, because we don't seem to know the answers here.

Meanwhile, regarding the other Inkscape forums - my other one, Inkscape Community, and the de facto "official" forum, InkscapeForum.com, there is an expected shakeup coming down the road, and I suspect pretty soon (next few months).  The Inkscape project has recently acquired it's own server.  (Yay!)  And the forum community is looking to start a new forum there.  Whether we use the contents of one of the other forums as a starting place, or whether we just start from scratch, we don't know yet.

But in any case, whenever this shakeup happens, I think will be a good time to "retire" this forum, and divert it's traffic to the new official forum, where there either already is (in case we use one of the existing forums to start the new one) or there will be (in case we start the new forum from scratch) a special board for cutter/plotter questions.  So there will still be a place for cutter users to get help.

As for the contents of this forum, rather than just close it down and lose everything, it could be put into read-only mode.  Read-only mode is exactly what it sounds like.  Visitors can still visit and navigate around, copy stuff, and still find all the contents (and I think still click links).  It's just you won't be able to post messages, or even log in.

So I wanted to find out if members are ready to close this forum yet, or whether read-only mode would be preferred?  There is so little activity, it's really not worth the effort to keep it updated anymore.

If you have any comments, please reply  :)
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
Re: the future of this forum
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 09:58:01 PM »
Update

Well, it's taken longer than I thought, but we finally have an opening "date" (more like "month") for the new forum, which is August 2019.  Once it opens, I've decided to just block new registrations in this forum.  That will force Inkscape support to the new forum (because I'll be doing the same thing in my other Inkscape forum).

Existing members will still be able to use this forum, so they have access to their contents, if they need it.  I'm not sure how long I'll leave it open.  Does anyone have any thoughts or needs or comments about keeping the forum open?

Since there haven't been any comments from the original message, I guess no one really is interested anymore.  If there aren't any comments over the next....maybe 6 months, I'm considering just closing this forum entirely.

If anyone would prefer keeping it, but in read-only mode, I'd be happy to do that.  Just speak up and let me know  :)

Also please feel free to post any comments or questions about the new forum here.  I'll post a link to it, when the opening gets closer.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
I think the tutorials are an excellent resource since they are geared towards creating cutting files rather than images and I would hate to have them disappear.  I know that when I was first learning Inkscape so many of the YouTube tutorials weren't completely appropriate for cutting.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 07:54:48 PM »
Thanks for your comments, Heather  :)

Do you think the tutorials here are still relevant?  Most of them are written with versions of Inkscape that are fairly old by now.  And I would assume the cutter softwares have probably advanced as well.

I'm happy to keep this forum online and searchable, if it's wanted.  But keeping the software up to date is a bit of a pain, considering there hasn't really been much activity.  But I'm pretty sure I could put it in read-only mode.  Then I wouldn't have to keep the software up to date.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline HeatherM

• Original Member
    • http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »
They should still be useful, unless they have removed things from newer versions?  I think read-only would be great, unless it's too much of a bother.
Heather
http://imagesbyheatherm.wordpress.com/
Mac OSX, Inkscape, eClips, Silhouette Cameo

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 08:09:38 PM »
I just need to do a little research.  But if it will work, it will be much less of a bother than keeping the software updated.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Kirstie

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 08:08:22 AM »
Hi Brynn,
Reading your posts on this forum, well I have to thank you for all your work, both here and on other internet pages where I saw your name.
                  :ur:
I don't have a cutter or plotting machine, so I don't know if the answers here are still up-to-date.

Here I am still workinging on a Dutch course, as I mentioned somewhere on inkscapecuttingdesign.
This is what I found: there are many fablabs who have specific instructions available on their own wiki pages, for users working with their machines.
But besides that, there is not much information about Inkscape and plotting, online nor in books.

----

Would you like to have me send you a digital copy of my course, when it is finished?
It will not be open source and free, but it will open up Inkscape to a bigger group of people who do not understand all the English tutorials.
There are a lot of pictures and some videos, all in Dutch.
But hey, google translate has become very good, so you will be able to understand it.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 08:55:11 AM by Kirstie »
  • Inkscape 0.92.4
  • Windows 8.1 & Linux Mint something & MacOS High Sierra
Love Inkscape & writing a course about it  :pfh:

Offline brynn

• Administrator
    • Inkscape Community
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
Are you going to have the course on the internet somewhere?  If so, I'll put a link to it on my huge listing of tutorials and manuals, on my other website:  https://forum.inkscapecommunity.com/index.php

Or if it's going to be published, I could put a link to wherever you're going to sell it (like maybe Amazon?).

However, it now looks like I might have to close both sites, due to an upcoming change in personal circumstances (financial).  So if you know anyone, or if you want to take over the site, let me know.
  • Windows 7 Pro, 64-bit

Offline Kirstie

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:06:27 AM »
Hi Brynn,

Thank you for asking and my apologies for my slow reply.

The Dutch website is https://www.cursusinkscape.nl/. It is only one page at the moment, because I am working on the course itself now.
I will sell it myself from that page, because the Netherlands are not so big  :).
I have an older blog, which is https://basiscursusinkscape.wordpress.com/.
People can ask questions there in Dutch too.

It is sad that you wil have to stop the website because of finances.
  • Inkscape 0.92.4
  • Windows 8.1 & Linux Mint something & MacOS High Sierra
Love Inkscape & writing a course about it  :pfh: