• December 17, 2018, 01:18:23 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Author Topic: Cutting from a mac system/using silhouette program/craftrobo  (Read 7339 times)

Offline landizzle

• Original Member
Cutting from a mac system/using silhouette program/craftrobo
« on: February 14, 2011, 09:37:06 PM »
Ok all here's is a head scratcher for you...

I use a mac. I can cut from the silhouette program just fine, however the system doesn't have as many features as inkscape does. I <3 inkscape.... I used to run a pc, but that literally died a few months ago and I bought this mac second hand (read: i'm now broke).

I've done some research and it seems I have some options:

- Run an emulator so I can cut from inkscape directly to the craft robo (which, i believe would cost money as i'd have to pay to d/l the program to do so)

- use my old laptop hard drive as an external drive to my mac and use it to run windows (which is a very long complicated process to set up and involved taking my current hard drive out of my mac... something i'm not sure i'm equipped to do)

- Convert inkscape files into a file that is 'readable' by the silhouette program.

I'm hoping some one here can give me insight into the last option. I'm not sure it is doable... (as I said, I've been doing some research), but I thought I'd give it at least a post here and see if someone else has been more successful than i...

Thanks in advance!
 :geek:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Cutting from a mac system/using silhouette program/craft
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 01:38:52 AM »
Hi, I just tested something in between cooking dinner and will try a few more things later tonight.

What I did was create a simple design in Inkscape and saved as dxf. I then opened Silhouette studio and opened the dxf file. It was invisible and looked as though it hadn't worked, so I added a fill colour and low and behold the design was there. I will test in on a few more complicated designs. In the meantime maybe another member knows the answer and can help you out.

My steps in brief,
- create design in Inkscape,
- save as DXF with Craft Robo option
- in Studio select open, make sure the option for "file type" is All Files to find the dxf file on your computer.
- the next step is to select the dxf file you saved on your computer
- Select All and add a fill line or colour to make the imported design visible.
- if you want to change the design in Studio ungroup the design by applying Object>Release Compound Path.

It appears as if squares and rectangles have to be objects in Inkscape to to open correctly in Studio. So if some of your designs will not open in Studio, go back to Inkscape and ensure all shapes are objects and hopefully they will transfer okay.

Offline landizzle

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 09:28:35 PM »
Aussie Carolyn,

Thanks very much for your experiment. I really appreciate your time and help! I tried what you suggested...
It opened in silhouette, but after a few seconds the program crashes on me. I'm not sure what is causing it. There isn't much installed on this laptop so I don't believe it is a memory issue....

Any other ideas?

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 10:58:14 PM »
Quote from: landizzle
Aussie Carolyn,

Thanks very much for your experiment. I really appreciate your time and help! I tried what you suggested...
It opened in silhouette, but after a few seconds the program crashes on me. I'm not sure what is causing it. There isn't much installed on this laptop so I don't believe it is a memory issue....

Any other ideas?

Hi landizzle

Sorry for being a bit absent, I recently downloaded the latest update for the Silhouette Studio software that fixed the DXF issue and the other software bugs, I thought I would try the DXF route from Inkscape and open it in the Silhouette Studio software :evil:  :evil:  :evil: it crashed the software; so not 1 to give up that easily I thought I would do my normal turning my SVG files into JPEG's and open the JPEG's in Studio and try out the Autotrace and EUREKA!!!! cutting a file using this method is smooth and fast........I still prefer to design in Inkscape, but at least I know that I can convert my SVG's into JPEG's and use with the Silhouette software.

Have a look at this post http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=52.0 and when you get too Step 9, then the differance is that you would open the JPEG in your Silhouette software and do your Autotrace........Hope this has helped......If not then just Holler.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 12:14:10 AM by brynn »
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline landizzle

• Original Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 12:27:41 AM »
OMG! You're my hero!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out for me. If I could hug you I would.

I haven't tried to actually cut yet (son is sleeping and I'm about ready to) but I followed your directions and the program didn't crash and silhouette was able to trace my design (since its able to trace I'll assume it is able to cut!)

Thank you so much.

I did have to d/l a new paint program (because macs don't have them for some reason), then I had to learn about to do mac's version of a print screen, but it all worked grand!

Just in case someone is suffering the same problem I was:
I am using the 'paintbrush' program for macs (a free very simple paint program)

and to do a print screen...
screen capture for a portion of your screen.
Switch to the screen that you wan to to do screen capture
Hold down Apple key ⌘ + Shift + 4 and release all key
Now, You will see the mouse cursor will change to +
You can start to drag your mouse to select the portion you wish to capture.
Once finish, you will see a picture file in at your desktop. That’s the screen capture picture!
(source: http://www.techiecorner.com/138/how-to- ... -mac-os-x/)

Seriously, you're my hero...
If you could see the look my husband gave me when I started doing my happy dance, well.. lets just say he was happy I was happy. LOL

thanks again!

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 03:01:27 PM »
Hi landizzle, I knew Angela would be able to help you out. I guess dxf worked for me as I have been unable to update Studio due to internet problems. The version I am using does not have the option for importing dxf. Strange that the newer version with dxf import capabilities crashes the program.

Thank you so much for adding the steps you used on your Mac.

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 03:22:12 PM »
Hi Carolyn

I was just trying to do a screenprint of what a DXF file looks like in Studio and now it won't even load the DXF. I will try again later, its a shame because apart from a few iffey bits it is very similar to Inkscape.

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:41:16 PM »
Hi Angela, At least it looks like they are working and trying to fix the software. It will be great for Silhouette and Robo users once all the problems are sorted out and will save time swapping between programs.
I see SCAL and MTC have more functions too. I wonder how long it will be before Inkscape is not used by owners of digital cutters?

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
Oooo finally managed to do a screenprint of what happens when I open up a Inkscape DXF file, I'm expecting it to save the design that is in the cutting area as displayed in Inkscape, but it displays everything that on that page at the time and you have too Zoom out to see the file. The 1st Picture shows the file after zooming out and the 2nd picture shows what happened when I Ungrouped the design, which I wasn't able to do before. I never liked the DXF route anyway, so no improvement there.

Offline landizzle

• Original Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:06:05 PM »
I just wanted to log on again and say thanks. I still haven't had a chance to cut an item yet (because i've been cramming for a big test) but I should be home free after 03/05. I'll let you know my final results then.  

Thanks again all!

Offline Technomum

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 12:51:33 PM »
I have been playing with Silhouette Studio and am quite impressed.  A few bugs still.  Re opening dxf files.  I find everything is fine as long as it isn't a complicated design.  Anything more than a few shapes now seems to crash fairly consistently BUT if any of you have Adobe Illustrator, take your svg into AI and ungroup everything until the Ungroup option is greyed out.  Then save as a dxf and either drag in off your desktop or use Open from the File option.  I have converted the most complex files this way with no trouble at all.  I know not everyone has AI but it definitely works brilliantly.  If you do try this route remember to group each item before moving anything.  It produced great files that have proper lines not short lines between thousands of nodes (and very few nodes to boot), so it cuts beautifully.
Cardmaking, Scrapbooking,
Inkscape, KNK, Funtime, RM

Offline muer

• Original Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 06:37:17 AM »
anybody used Macvide ScreenCap ( www.macvide.com ) ?  i heard this is a good screen recorder too

Offline cleversomeday

• Original Member
    • Clever Someday
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 07:33:10 PM »
Landizzle, I am a new Silh owner and had the same question you did.
I can add one solution to your list and add a few tips to getting the DXF conversion to work.
You can cut directly from a Mac to a Silhouette with Adobe Illustrator. I was able to successfully do that today after downloading Cutting Master 2 for Craft Robo 1.82 and while I am more comfortable with Inkscape, at least this gives us another (albeit expensive) option that doesn't require running any Windows OS. This has the added advantage of enabling the use of many fine free vectors that are available only in ai format.

Here are some things I tried which seemed to help get better dxf export/import results Inkscape Mac to Sil Studio Mac
-delete everything you do not want to export (Edit> Invert Selection command very helpful for deleting stray items)
-ungroup entire design
-convert all objects to paths
-Use path>union where possible to combine items into one path
-uncheck craft robo checkbox

And finally, if you are going to open SVGs in Inkscape to export a bitmap to trace in Sil Studio, no need for screen shots, just use the File>Export Bitmap command in Inkscape. I hope that new versions of Sil Studio or Inkscape plug ins/drivers for Mac will give us better options in the future.
-Kay
--
Visit my blog
Clever Someday-Geeky Ideas for Desktop Crafting
http://cleversomeday.wordpress.com
-Kay
visit my blog http://cleversomeday.com