• November 12, 2019, 12:02:31 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Rhinestone Text using the Hershey Text Extension  (Read 13336 times)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Rhinestone Text using the Hershey Text Extension
« on: June 12, 2011, 07:41:44 AM »
I will show here the steps I use to create a rhinestone design using the Hershey Text Extension.
First you must install the extension. If you have not done so, please go to http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/hershey download the file and follow the instructions as shown on the website. Leave Inkscape closed while installing.

To start the tutorial, Open Inkscape and then open the Hershey Text Extension. Extensions>Render>Hershey Text.

ht1.JPG
*ht1.JPG
(55.42 kB . 519x476)
(viewed 1901 times)

You should now have a new box with some more options. Type your text in the Text box, ensure the box Action is set at Type that text, in the box Font Face select your font. Apply.
Not all of these fonts are single line. I find Sans1- stroke and Script1-stroke are great for rhinestone designs. More samples of available fonts can be found on another post http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=463.0

ht2.JPG
*ht2.JPG
(50.81 kB . 515x478)
(viewed 1474 times)

1- Resize the text to suit your project. Remember rhinestone designs are not suitable for resizing later as it will increase the size of each circle.
2- Draw a circle to represent the rhinestone. As rhinestone designs are stencil cuts the circle needs to be slightly larger than the rhinestone.
If you look closely at the written text you will see it is a series of straight lines. It can be used for rhinestone designs and I will discuss this in more detail at the end of the post.

ht3.JPG
*ht3.JPG
(83.53 kB . 1034x394)
(viewed 1438 times)

The circle must be the top object and the text obviously must be the bottom object for Scatter to work correctly. It the circle was the last object drawn it will be the top object. If not, either press Home on your computer keyboard or hit the relevant icon on the top toolbar.
Select the text and the circle before applying Scatter.

ht4.JPG
*ht4.JPG
(91.45 kB . 1089x481)
(viewed 1425 times)

Open Scatter. Extensions>Generate from Path>Scatter.

ht5.JPG
*ht5.JPG
(96.42 kB . 989x478)
(viewed 1487 times)

You will now have a box with some more options.
1- I ticked the top two boxes for the example. I find ticking both boxes usually gives a good result but feel free to experiment.
2- The box Space between copies is the space between each circle. The official method for spacing rhinestones is the space should be half the size of the rhinestone. Of, course this is up to the designer. I will add more about this at the end of the tutorial.
3- Normal Offset and Tangential Offset can be left at 0 for rhinestone designs with text. Leave the box Pattern is Vertical unticked.
4- Original Pattern will be - has 3 options. If you choose move it will move the original circle. If you choose copied, the original circle will not be used in the design which is handy if you plan to create more than one design. I do not recommend using tiled clones as the other two options do the task.
5- Tick the box Live Preview so you can see any changes as they are made.
6- Apply and close the box.
7- After the scatter design is created it may not be perfect. Have a closer look. Remove any duplicate circles and respace any that are too close or untidy looking.

ht6.JPG
*ht6.JPG
(106.42 kB . 1274x410)
(viewed 1399 times)

To finalise the design either delete the original single line font. If you plan to use the same text with a different size rhinestone it can be dragged aside instead of being deleted. Save the file.

ht7.JPG
*ht7.JPG
(99.36 kB . 1276x429)
(viewed 1437 times)

Notes
Previously I mentioned the correct spacing between rhinestones is half the size of the selected rhinestone. The only option in Scatter is px but most of us do not work in px. Not to worry, there is a solution. Draw the circle in whatever unit of measurement you prefer, my example is in mm. After the circle is sized correctly the unit of measurement can be changed to px. My example shows 3.2mm is 11.339px, therefore if I wanted to find half the size of the rhinestone it would be 5.6695px. I would now enter that number in Space between Copies when using Scatter.

px.JPG
*px.JPG
(117.45 kB . 1126x482)
(viewed 1396 times)

Here is the video from another post showing how to use Scatter. The video does not show text but may still be useful if using this method for creating rhinestone text designs.
[youtube:llwo1i3u]TzCQMBH-YW4[/youtube:llwo1i3u]
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 12:03:34 PM by brynn »

Offline denali1

• Original Member
Re: Rhinestone Text using the Hershey Text Extension
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:55 PM »
Carolyn:
I have tried your method for the scatter using the Hershey Text.  I have watched the video and read the tutorial and can't figure out why I am getting this.  Please help if you can.  Thank you, Dawn

Each time I get an error reading like this:

Inkscape has received additional data from the script executed.  The script did not return an error, but this may indicate the results will not be as expected.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "pathscatter.py", line 260, in <module>

e.affect()

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionsinkex.py", line 215, in affect

self.effect()

File "pathscatter.py", line 210, in effect

self.prepareSelectionList()

File "pathscatter.py", line 164, in prepareSelectionList

self.objectsToPaths(self.skeletons,False)

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionspathmodifier.py", line 235, in objectsToPaths

newnode=self.objectToPath(node,doReplace)

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionspathmodifier.py", line 223, in objectToPath

fuseTransform(node)

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionssimpletransform.py", line 117, in fuseTransform

p = cubicsuperpath.parsePath(d)

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionscubicsuperpath.py", line 163, in parsePath

return CubicSuperPath(simplepath.parsePath(d))

File "C:Program FilesInkscapeshareextensionscubicsuperpath.py", line 150, in CubicSuperPath

csp[subpath].append([lastctrl[:],last[:],last[:]])

IndexError: list index out of range
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 09:20:02 PM »
Oh boy! these type of error messages are beyond my skill level. Hopefully another member can help out. I can only answer these if it happened to me and I found a solution.

If you would like to post your problem file here, members can try a few solutions and see if they can find your problem. It is much easier to play with the file than try to guess what may be going wrong.

Have you tried using scatter on other fonts or shapes to see whether the problem is scatter or the Hershey extension?
Often copying the file and opening in a new document will get rid of error messages.
Do you have any other shapes in the design you are trying to apply scatter too? Often shapes need to be objects before applying a function and can give error messages.

Offline denali1

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »
Thank you.  Somehow I knew it wasn't going to be an easy answer.  I am actually going to reload Inkscape and see what happens.  I will try the suggestions you have given and see what I can figure out.  Thank you very much for your time.  Dawn

Offline Angel13

• Original Member
    • http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
Hi Dawn

Just out of interest what version Inkscape are you using?
http://cardsulike.blogspot.com/
http://www.craftsuprint.com/default.cfm?designer=379

Windows Vista, Silhouette Cutter same as Craft Robo(Mini Expert) Cameo Beginner, Inkscape, Cougar(Learning curb going on!!)

Offline denali1

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2011, 11:13:44 PM »
I believe it's the latest version they had online.  0.48.1 is what the website says.  I can't figure out what I am doing wrong.  It won't work in the scatter for a picture either.  I think I am making it an object but I could be wrong.  I follow the directions and it gets that far and then nothing.  This really was the reason I got a cutter was to do the rhinestone stuff and I can't.  I guess I can stick to making pretty vinyl things.   :D

Thank you for all of your interest and help.
Dawn

Offline denali1

• Original Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
ok so I made a sprial and did what I was supposed to and it worked.  So now I wonder why it's not working when I use the Hershey Text.  Strange.  I am not very proficient with this.  :)

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 05:38:28 AM »
Quote from: "denali1"
ok so I made a sprial and did what I was supposed to and it worked.  So now I wonder why it's not working when I use the Hershey Text.  Strange.  I am not very proficient with this.  :)
Strange.
I am going to suggest you type the Hershey text and draw the circle you plan to use, then upload the file so we can have a look at it.
If we can see the same file you are trying we may be able to see why it isn't working for you.

Another question. Are you using a Mac or Windows based computer? It shouldn't make any difference but it may help if there is a problem. We have skilled members who own different computer operating systems and can check it should work for you.

Please do post the file as I am curious to see why it won't work. Once it is sorted out you will be able to spend many hours creating your own rhinestone designs.

Offline newbiecat

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 11:00:13 AM »
Hi Carolyn,

Thanks for the tutorial which is great.  I had exactly the same error message mentioned when following this tutorial.  Eventually I found that by using Path/object to path.  Then whilst still selected object/ungroup(sometimes more than once) then Path/combine, I managed to get it to a similar result that you have shown with a few alterations to be made to extra circles here and there.

If relevant I am running Inkscape .47 on Windows 7, with the signcut extension for my Black cat cougar.  I did find that when I tried cutting the template though I was using 4mm stones, I ended up having to create 6mm circles to allow them to drop through easily.

Where I differed a lot was using the scatter command, I tried the way you suggested and ending up with some very odd results, eventually but dumb luck I left a setting of 4.4 in the Space between copiesand that worked fine with the 6mm circles (go figure) I don't understand it just happy to get near the result I wanted.  

Hope this may help anyone else struggling as I have been

best wishes
Pandora
Win 7, Inkscape .47, 18" Silver Bullet,(love the speed)
Craft Artist Professional, Photoshop CS2, SCAL 3. ?? latest, still have my cricut - need to find a new home for it

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
Thank you Pandora for the hints and solutions to solve a few issues, it will be very handy for members who have problems.

I guess I had better re-visit this tutorial and do some further testing. I must have just been lucky and didn't encounter any problems. Unusual as I usually first encounter problems while creating a video,   :x  :lol: