• November 15, 2019, 12:15:27 PM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Is there a technique to fill objects with rhinestones  (Read 6767 times)

Offline Silicor

• Original Member
Is there a technique to fill objects with rhinestones
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:05:36 AM »
First off, let me thank everyone who contributes to these forums.  I've been looking at this site for a week and just received my cutter today.  By using the videos, I've been able to do just about everything I've needed.  Aussie C, your vids are great!!!!  

I was demoing winpcsign to see its rhinestone functions and the only capability that I see there that I don't know how to do in Inkscape is fill an object with circles...rhinestones.

I'm really hoping there is a way, because I don't want to buy another software package.  But the thought of moving around hundreds of little circles gives me the shakes:)  I think the cloning technique would work but it would take some math to get the paths the right distance from each other.  Just a though, haven't tried it yet.  Anyone have a way they fill objects with rhinestone patterns in Inkscape?

Thanks,
Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Is there a technique to fill objects with rhinestones
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:57:08 AM »
Hi and welcome, I actually did find a way to fill designs with rhinestones back in April. Here is a screenshot of my first attempt.

rhinestones.JPG
*rhinestones.JPG
(56.32 kB . 820x487)
(viewed 656 times)

I will try to get a tutorial written up tonight as I am sure other members may be interested. In the meantime I will give a quick set of instructions now.
Edit. No full tutorial tonight. I found it hard to explain a few of the steps so I will make a video over the weekend.

A quick set of instructions until I make a video.
- first you need an image, high contrast works best for this method.
- then you draw the correct size circle to represent the rhinestone.
- follow the video below to create a tiled clone design with trace - change the number or rows and columns so the design is only just covered in circles - alter the spacing between circles in the Shift tab. The design will now be covered in circles but so will the background.
- next is the tedious part, deleting the circles you don't want. I will write up the method I prefer using to speed up this process.
My example had colour to represent the palm tree and those colours were added after the design was created.

Here is the video showing tiled clones with trace.
[youtube:3buhnnzk]EATIRux2P7I[/youtube:3buhnnzk]
Do you plan on creating a lot of rhinestone designs or just a few? If you were going to create many designs and don't like this method, another program you may be interested in looking at is MTC. It has a rhinestone feature and has fill and outline options. Any designs created can be copied and pasted directly into Inkscape. I am not affiliated with MTC but thought I would mention the program in case you planned to create many designs. Here is the link to MTC and the trial download link.  http://www.make-the-cut.com/
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 07:48:53 AM by brynn »

Offline Silicor

• Original Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 09:03:32 AM »
Excellent!  erasing is much easier than trying to manually move circles.  As far as my template needs, I'm just doing it as a hobby but my little girl and wife will surely come up with lots of ideas.  And if I'm any good at it, I'm sure friends will start making requests...  I enjoy the challenge of making good looking stuff, but with MTC's summer special it is only $60.  I'm going to have to seriously consider getting it just to save me time for my other hobbies.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline Silicor

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
Downloaded the demo of make the cut and I really love it for importing bitmaps and making fast rhinestone patterns. They are not perfect, but it will save me a ton of time compared to what I was doing before...so I bought it.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 05:59:36 PM »
Quote from: "Silicor"
Downloaded the demo of make the cut and I really love it for importing bitmaps and making fast rhinestone patterns. They are not perfect, but it will save me a ton of time compared to what I was doing before...so I bought it.  Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

I have 3 programs with the rhinestone feature and all them need a bit of adjustment with many designs. I hope you have fun creating lots of projects for your wife and daughter. Don't forget to show us photo's of items you create.

Offline The Debsp

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:26:11 AM »
Apologies if this is a silly question but, I'm not sure what you use rhinestones for?

Debbie

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 08:20:40 AM »
Hi Debbie, most people seem to be using rhinestones with heat sensitive glue to add rhinestone images to t-shirts. Card makers are adding rhinestone swirls to cards.

The rhinestone designs are cut out as stencils. Here is a link to a site with examples and "how to apply" the rhinestones to a shirt http://blog.silhouetteamerica.com/searc ... hinestones

Offline scooby

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:59:31 AM »
Quote from: "The Debsp"
Apologies if this is a silly question but, I'm not sure what you use rhinestones for?

Debbie

Debbie    you are a treasure ,  i have wanted to know what all the full about rhinestones and cutting patterns out was all about  :oops:  :roll: ,   but i didnt want to ask as everyone seems to know all about what they were talking about .  ;)

so thanx a lot  ,   something else i learnt .........

Sue xx

Offline The Debsp

• Original Member
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 03:19:01 PM »
Thanks, Carolyn, for explaining.  Glad you've learnt something too, Scooby!

Debbie

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:19:06 AM »
At long last I have finished the video. It took over 10 attempts to make this one and the final video was culled from 52 minutes down to just under 15. Yes, I do talk too much,  :oops:  :roll:  

I know it is a long video but if you work with a fill only, you can skip the second part. The second part covers the differences when working with a stroke line only. I know we have members who are Silhouette owners who work with stroke lines to cut directly from Inkscape and I though the information may make it easier for new users.

I am hoping to have some time spare tomorrow to add this to the tutorials section along with some written information.

[youtube:10ti74d6]vIjuUUQ42nY[/youtube:10ti74d6]

Offline scud

• Original Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 06:14:58 PM »
Jo and I did a design to go on a bag for the last show. I have the design ready to go on the bag but the bag is still at Jo's in the box we had at the show. Will post a photo when I remember to pick it up from her. Barbara

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 11:20:15 PM »
Look forward to seeing the picture. I bet it looked great as you and Jo always create good looking projects.