• November 14, 2019, 12:24:59 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project opened its first official forum on its website this month (August 2019). https://inkscape.org/forums/ In an effort to combine all the different forums into one, this forum will no longer be accepting new members or new messages. However, it will remain open for a little while, for existing members, to have access to their contents, if they need them.

Any potential new members should register on the new forum, and post their message there. There is a special board for questions about using Inkscape for cutting machines (of all kinds). (https://inkscape.org/forums/cutplot/)

If you have any questions or comments (and you're an existing member) you can post them here.

Although I've been planning to put this forum in read-only mode, at the time of this transition, unfortunately, my personal circumstances have changed, and I won't be able to host this forum much longer. I'm not sure about the time frame. It could be as soon as the end of 2019, or as long as a year from now. If anyone is interested in taking it over, please contact me.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Nodes  (Read 5449 times)

Silvertip

Nodes
« on: July 24, 2010, 10:42:04 PM »
I need to know about nodes,  Obviously on straight lines you only need one at the start of the line and one at the end.  But for curves and such should I keep the amount of nodes I have to a minimum.  When I am tracing RJ's art I always go back and delete as many as I can especially for big round soft curves, but on some of the really curvy detail I have to have more.  I don't want to alter his work, so I usually don't use the simplify tool.  But is is really necessary to remove the nodes,  I thought someone had mentioned that to many nodes can cause slower cutting or problems.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
Re: Nodes
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 11:35:46 PM »
Hi Suzan, I remove as many nodes as I can without altering the shape. If I delete a node and it changes the shape, I put it back.  I rarely use simplify as I don't like the result on most occasions. I have changed my simplify settings to a very low number as well.

I have not really noticed any difference between node heavy files opposed to files with very few nodes. I have heard some machines slow right down if there are too many nodes. Have you tested the Cricut with a file containing all the nodes and then tested again with less nodes and seen any difference?

Hopefully other members with different cutters will add their experiences as well.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:08:09 AM »
Its always better to keep nodes to a minimum, especially on machines other than the Cougar. But even with the Cougar you will find that you get smoother more flowing lines with less curves.
If you are working on something that you do not want to change the shape of then try this method.
Remove fill and add stroke (if it isn't already stroke)
Duplicate and change the colour of the stroke on the duplicate.
Now you can play around deleting nodes and simplifying as much as you like because with the second template underneath you can see if the shape changes too much - so you can make any necessary adjustments. If you use the node handles you can make any curve you want and with very few nodes.
Unlike Carolyn I use simplify a lot, if you set the number very low you have great control over it. For increasing the simplification just press control L more than once in quick succession.

Silvertip

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 07:02:47 AM »
Thank you both for the wonderful answers.  I don't really care for simplify,  I never have had a good result.  In Illustrator, the pen (bezier) tool has an add and delete node button.  That is what I have been using.  But it does take a lot of time.  And I know you can do the same in Inkscape but it is a different process.

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »
If you set your simplification to 0.0001 you will find that the simplification becomes very controllable.
If you use ILLUSTRATOR try the Path simplify and set the top slider to 97%. Then view the result. Normally that gives a perfect result.

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »
Too many nodes for sure slows down the cricut E
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 01:31:55 PM »
Too many nodes will slow down all but the powerful machines. I always keep nodes to a minimum even though the Cougar can cope with them because I like other machine users to still be able to use my files.

Silvertip

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 02:50:48 PM »
Thanks Dawn and Darcy I will try it.

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 09:19:54 AM »
Quote from: Thyme
Its always better to keep nodes to a minimum, especially on machines other than the Cougar. But even with the Cougar you will find that you get smoother more flowing lines with less curves.
If you are working on something that you do not want to change the shape of then try this method.
Remove fill and add stroke (if it isn't already stroke)
Duplicate and change the colour of the stroke on the duplicate.
Now you can play around deleting nodes and simplifying as much as you like because with the second template underneath you can see if the shape changes too much - so you can make any necessary adjustments. If you use the node handles you can make any curve you want and with very few nodes.
Unlike Carolyn I use simplify a lot, if you set the number very low you have great control over it. For increasing the simplification just press control L more than once in quick succession.

Dawn can you post how to set the node feature  to a lower number in the Inkscape Tutorial topic?  I don't see where I can do it and it sounds like a great idea. OR is this just for Illustrator?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:03:10 PM by brynn »
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:47 AM »
Hi Susan, did you want to know how to change the settings for when you use simplify?
Here is a new post with the information if it was what you were seeking  [bad link removed - info below]
I have been working on a pictorial of settings that are handy to know how to change. I will upload the others in a day or so.

Edit
Simplification threshold can be changed - in Inkscape version 0.91:

Edit menu > Preferences > Behavior

default is 0.0020

With that setting, usually 1 click on Path menu > Simplify will result in a minor to not even noticeable change.  But the 2nd click will make a very visible difference
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 03:49:36 PM by brynn, Reason: replace bad link with correct info »

Offline PapaSue

• Original Member
    • http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 12:48:20 PM »
Quote from: Aussie Carolyn
Hi Susan, did you want to know how to change the settings for when you use simplify?
Here is a new post with the information if it was what you were seeking <!-- l -->change-simplification-threshold-t61.html<!-- l -->
I have been working on a pictorial of settings that are handy to know how to change. I will upload the others in a day or so.

Yes that's it.  Why would they put it under Misc instead of nodes I wonder.

Mine was at 0.0000  you seem to have yours set at 0.0002.  Does this mean that you will delete MORE nodes with one click or less.  Inquiring minds are lazy but I guess I could just pick an image and keep resetting the threshold until I get it.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:02:25 PM by brynn, Reason: conversion edit »
Susan
http://creationsbypapasue.blogspot.com/
OLDER:  http://papasuecreative.blogspot.com (blog deleted)
Learn, Grow, Create, Share
Macintosh, Mavericks, Inkscape 0.91, eClips1, eCAL2.013

Anonymous

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2010, 12:51:33 PM »
I set mine at 0.0001, and yes the larger the number the more nodes in one go