• June 18, 2019, 07:50:22 AM
• Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

The Future of this Forum:

The Inkscape Project will open its first official forum, on the Inkscape website, this August (2019). (Address/link will be provided at that time.) When that happens, new registrations will no longer be allowed in this forum and Inkscape support will be provided in the new forum. This forum will still be open for a while, so that existing topics can be finished, and existing users can have access to their contents. But all potential new members should register on the Inkscape website, and post their questions in the new forum, starting in August. If you have any questions or comments, you can post them here.

Since there haven't been any new messages for so long, and no one has ever replied to this message of mine I'm considering closing this forum entirely, in approx 6 months. If anyone has any comments about that, please feel free to post them.

-- brynn

Author Topic: Help and advice?  (Read 6226 times)

Offline reniscreamer

• Original Member
Help and advice?
« on: October 10, 2011, 11:05:05 AM »
Is there a path that one would reccommend on these beginner tutorials?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Butterfly

• Original Member
Re: Help and advice?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »
Hello and Welcome glad you are here, you came to the right place.
For the most part really you can start just about anywhere with the video's Carolyn does a really great job of explaining as you go, and you will walk away know and learning something new.

But some are a little easier than others. This was one of the first ones I did, I am the Oldest rookie on board 
I mean because I am still a rookie. I keep getting stuck on some thing I like and forget to go back and learn more....LOL
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:18:11 AM by brynn »
I Learn something new every day, I just Forget to remember it
XP, Ink.47, Scal 2, Cricut E
http://darliciouscreations.weebly.com/

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 02:45:03 PM »
Quote from: reniscreamer
Is there a path that one would reccommend on these beginner tutorials?

Welcome, you have asked a very good question. First it will depend if you have any prior knowledge.

If you are a total beginner I would start with getting to know the interface of Inkscape http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=429.0 because I find one of he hardest things about learning a new program is finding where something is located.

While learning the UNDO command is a must (well, at anytime really) http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=426.0

Okay, as I started writing this list I found the images are missing in one of the tutorials and there are a few I forgot to transfer from my blog. I have to go out for the day but when I have time this evening I will write up a suggested list and add a few missing tutorials to help beginners.

At any time while you are learning Inkscape ask questions if you need help.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:19:29 AM by brynn »

Offline reniscreamer

• Original Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 07:18:43 PM »
Are these videos you are talking about on your You Tube account?

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 05:40:47 PM »
Quote from: "reniscreamer"
Are these videos you are talking about on your You Tube account?

Hi sorry for the slow response. I am not very well at the moment.

I don't have any videos for beginners. As talented Inkscape users have already posted videos showing the basics I concentrated on showing how Inkscape can be used to create different projects for electronic cutters. All of my beginner tutorials were in written format.

Here are a few links to videos showing the basics
Dan has a video showing how to set up a new default page http://dan99.blogspot.com/2009/01/video ... capes.html
Learning Digital Design has a few videos showing the basics http://www.learndigitaldesign.com/school.php?title=1

If there is a need for a video covering the basics I can make a few videos. However, it will have to wait until I can talk and breathe at the same time. I have a bad case of hayfever and can't talk for long enough to make a video at the moment.

In the meantime have a look around and ask questions. If we don't have the information posted we can hopefully suggest another website with the information you are seeking.

Offline yarnovah

• Original Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 03:35:05 PM »
I could swear I once saw a video tutorial showing the answer to my question, but it could be hidden in a tut in my playlist, or could be one of the removed videos.  When tracing an image for a template, such as a 3D project, the lines come out double, and the dashes for the fold lines are little rectangles or circles.  In other words, the tracing goes around the line.  What I recall is that there was something that could be done either before or after the trace that could keep these as simple lines.  Can someone here help me?

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 05:19:20 PM »
Hi, here is a video to show how to remove double lines after tracing.
[youtube:sblufdmh]n_DrqXkw0Bo[/youtube:sblufdmh]

The dashed lines will still cut as rectangles even if you remove the double line. Use the Bezier tool to draw a line through the path of the traced dash line, then follow the steps in the pictorial below.

dashed lines 1.JPG
*dashed lines 1.JPG
(19.3 kB . 345x227)
(viewed 316 times)

dashed lines 2.JPG
*dashed lines 2.JPG
(60.85 kB . 563x463)
(viewed 324 times)

dashed lines 3.JPG
*dashed lines 3.JPG
(53.66 kB . 603x392)
(viewed 338 times)

I hope this helps you with your project. If you need further help let us know.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:20:48 AM by brynn »

Offline yarnovah

• Original Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 04:04:30 AM »
Thank you Aussie Carolyn!  This is the video I remember.  I love your detailed tutorials, and your voice!

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 05:12:46 AM »
Hi yarnovah, after reading your questions, I made a new video today to cover 3 problems one may encounter when tracing. Hopefully I can get it edited and uploaded tomorrow.
Thanks for the comment about my tutorials but I have to disagree about the voice, lol. Actually, I don't know anyone who like to hear their own voice.

Offline Aussie Carolyn

• Original Member
    • Cut Two Pieces
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:43:45 PM »
yarnovah, I have added the new tracing video to the tutorial section. It can be found here  http://www.inkscapecuttingdesign.com/smf/index.php?topic=1047.0
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:21:24 AM by brynn »